Effective Date: May 1, 2022
Our Commitment To Your Privacy
Our Relationship To Different Users
We collect information about those who use our Platform as students, teachers and other employees on behalf of their Schools. Schools use our Platform to, among other things, gather information necessary to streamline core processes to be able to manage student experiences. To satisfy these goals, Schools request and collect certain information about student users such as their name and e-mail address. However, Schools may request and collect additional information from students which may include educational records. We give Schools choices about what data they will collect. We offer multiple options that a School can choose to determine what information is required from its student, teacher and staff. We let the School make these choices.
SchoolJoy is not responsible for and cannot control the types of information that Schools request and collect from students. We collect such information on behalf of these educational organizations and their collection and use of such information is governed by their respective privacy policies and procedures. If you are a student then please contact the School directly with any questions about how they collect or use information collected through our Platform. We may send any inquiries that we receive directly from you about our use of your information to your School.
What Information We Collect
We collect the following information to provide you with our innovative Platform and Services and to operate our business.
- “Personal User Data” is information that can be used, directly or indirectly, alone or together with other information, to identify you as the user of our Platform or Website. This may include your first and last name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and location.
- “Platform or Service Specific Data” includes any information provided by you as part of the functionality of the Platform or the provision of the Services. This may include personal information about you as the user, account username, password, and student information such as student name, email rosters, student activities and class codes.
- “Anonymous User Data” is information that is anonymous, aggregate, de-identified, or otherwise does not reveal your identity. Some examples include school identifiers, IP address, Internet service provider, browser and operating system, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time spent on our Website or using the Platform, amount of time spent on particular pages, what sections of the Website you visit, the number of links you click while on our Website, search terms, website traffic and related statistics, keywords and/or other data.
By using the Website or Platform, you consent to our collection of your information.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To create and administer your account and to make the Website and Platform easier for you to use by not requiring you to enter your information more than once;
- To provide access to and use of the Platform;
- To provide the student, parent, teacher, staff and the School with all information and data shared or exchanged through the Platform;
- To send you requested product or service information;
- To respond to inquiries, customer service requests or communicate with you;
- To notify you of product upgrades, special offers, updated information, and new services via email.
- To send you marketing communications regarding our products and services;
- To improve our Website, Platform, professional services or to enhance our marketing;
- To consider you for employment, if you have provided information for such purpose; or
- To comply with legal requirements and to prevent activities that may violate our policies.
By using the Website or Platform, you consent to our use of your information for these purposes.
How We Share Your Information
In addition, we may disclose your Personal User Data or Platform and Service Specific Data in the following ways:
- Platform and Services. In order to enable us to provide access to the Platform and perform the Services we may provide Personal User Data or Anonymous User Data to certain third-party business partners whose products are complementary to the Platform and our Services. This may include information related to the School and its IT liaison.
- Advertising. We do not share your Personal User Data with any third-party for advertising purposes.
- Service Providers. We may share Personal User Data or Platform and Service Specific Data with service providers who provide us with technology services such as web hosting, payment processing and analytics services. Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data is provided to service providers strictly for the purpose of carrying out their work for us. When student Personal User Data is required, we require service providers to implement the same commitments to safeguarding student Personal User Data that we do.
- As Required by Law or to Protect Rights. We may be required, subject to applicable law, to disclose your Personal User Data or Platform and Service Specific Data if: (i) it is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process (such as a court order, subpoena, search warrant, etc.) or other legal requirements of any governmental authority or as otherwise required by law; (ii) such a disclosure would potentially mitigate our liability in an actual or potential lawsuit; (iii) it is necessary to protect our legal rights or property; (iv) it is necessary to protect the legal rights or property or physical security of others; or (v) for the prevention or detection of crime and such disclosure is lawful.
How We Protect Your Information
SchoolJoy is committed to protecting the security and privacy of your Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data including the Personal User Data of the students in the educational institutions we serve. We comply with applicable laws and regulations, which govern or apply to our Platform and the provision of our Services.
- Information Security. We maintain strict administrative, technical, and physical procedures to protect any Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data that is stored on our servers against unauthorized access, theft and loss. Access to Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data is limited to those employees or contractors who require it to perform their job functions and are bound by strict contractual confidentiality obligations. We use industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology, user/password credentials and two factor authentication to safeguard access to Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data. Any data transmitted between a local Device and our cloud servers is sent in https encrypted form through a secure website, secure file transfer. Other security safeguards include but are not limited to data encryption, firewalls, physical access controls to building and files, and other industry-standard best practices.
We make good faith efforts to provide the security measures necessary to keep the integrity and confidentiality of your information safe. However, no system can be completely secure and we do not guarantee that our security measures are impenetrable or that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss, or other breaches will not occur.
- Your Responsibility. You also have a significant role in protecting your information. As an example, you should not share your password with anyone. If you believe that your password has been compromised, you should immediately change your password or contact us immediately. In addition, our Platform may contain features that, if used incorrectly, can result in the inappropriate sharing of sensitive information including Personal User Data. It is solely your responsibility to share sensitive information appropriately when using our Platform.
Cookies And Other Tracking Technologies
A cookie is placed on your machine (if you accept cookies) or is read if you have visited our Website or Platform previously. All of this is done in accordance with applicable laws.
Web beacons, also known as clear gif technology, or action tags, assist in delivering the cookie. This technology tells us how many visitors clicked on key elements (such as links or graphics) while using the Website or Platform, remembers users’ settings (e.g. language preference) and is used for authentication. We do not use this technology to access your personal information on the Website or Platform; it is a tool we use to compile aggregated statistics about Website or Platform usage. We may share aggregated statistics with our business partners, but do not allow other companies to place clear gifs on the Website or Platform.
To ensure we are creating and publishing relevant content, we may use information collected from cookies and other mechanisms. We may use this information in aggregated form and use site-visitation statistics to improve our Website. If you choose to not have your browser accept cookies from our Website or Platform, you will be able to view the text on the screens, however, you will not experience a personalized visit and your ability to use some features or areas of our Website or Platform may be limited.
Managing Your Privacy Settings And Access To Information
- Access to Student Personal User Data. Student Personal User Data is provided and controlled by your School. Upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to Personal User Data that we have about your child for the purpose of reviewing and/or requesting changes. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to process such requests in a timely manner. You should be aware, however, that it is not always possible to completely remove or modify information in our databases. Parents have the right to ask that the online records of their children under the age of 13 be removed from the storage of any online service provider. If you wish to request that SchoolJoy remove your child’s records from our database, please contact the appropriate official at your child’s School and ask them to carry out this action in collaboration with our team. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your child’s records, please contact the appropriate official at your child’s School directly.
- Opting-Out. You may opt-out of allowing us to share your Personal User Data and Platform and Service Specific Data with third-party business partners for the purpose of providing products and services that are complementary to our Platform. You may also elect to opt-out when prompted by our Platform to provide any additional information.
- Deleting or Disabling Cookies. You may be able to disallow cookies to be set on your browser. Please look for instructions on how to delete or disable cookies and other tracking/recording tools on your browser’s technical settings. You may not be able to delete or disable cookies on certain mobile devices and/or certain browsers. For more information about managing your cookie settings, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that if you disable and do not accept cookies, some features and services may not be available to you.
- Manage Your Geolocation Services. Most mobile Devices provide users with the ability to disable location services. Disabling location services will not allow us to collect your location data (by virtue of the location of your mobile Device) when you use our Platform. Most likely, these controls are located in the Device’s settings menu. If you have questions about how to disable your Device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your Device manufacturer.
For Services that involve provisioning of student accounts, student Personal User Data may be retained for the period of time required for the student to have access to our Platform or for us to perform the Services. We do not sell student Personal User Data. Student Personal User Data will be deleted as instructed by your child’s School.
Treatment Of Educational Records And Children’s Privacy
Links To Third-Party Websites, Applications And Services
Transfer Of Your Information Across Borders And Your Rights Under GDPR
Our company is located in the United States. Your information may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which SchoolJoy or its vendors maintain facilities. By using our Website or Platform, you consent to any transfer, storage, or processing of information outside of your country. Several countries, including those in the European Economic Area and Switzerland, have established data protection laws and regulations that place restrictions on the transfer of personal information across country borders. We are committed to complying with all of those laws and regulations; however, when you use our Website or Platform and provide such personal information, you should do so in compliance with the applicable data protection laws and regulations in your country.
How To Contact Us
2734 Bayview Drive
Fremont, California 94538 USA